Friday 18 September 2009

Respect for two real 'Cool' Guys

A chance meeting as I set out from my B& B on Day 4 of my walk from Alnwick. I met James & Marcus in the lobby also preparing to depart on a sponsored walk, whereas my walk was just over 100 miles and was lasting 9 days they were walking 900 miles from John O'Groats to Lands End lasting six months--wait for it--pushing a fridge! I just bowed in respect for these true heroes and great ambassadors for young generation. The Great Fridge Adventure was inspired by a similar walk undertaken in Ireland which James and Marcus read. They are raising funds for The Alzheimer's Society. All was going well until they reached Sunniside in Gateshead when they momentarily went into a shop to ask directions and when they emerged both their bags had been taken. As a Gateshead man I felt ashamed that they should have walked half the length of the country encountering kindness and respect at every point until they arrived in Gateshead--I made the point that this is so 'NOT' an accurate reflection of the inhabitants of the town who are generous and warm natured. They hadn't lost their sense of humour when they declared "at least they didn't nick the fridges!'Their distress was less over the bags taken and more over the fact that the bags contained their journals of the journey which they had hoped would form the basis for a book on completion. These are two wonderful young men who are undertaking a noble effort in a selfless cause. I offered to do anything I could to help them recover the journals and would appeal to the better nature of those who stole these bags to display humanity towards these two young men and restore the pride of our town--if its money they are after then I would happily pay a £100 cash reward for the safe return of the journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment